After over a year of constant discussion and intrusion into the lives of people all over the globe, COVID-19 continues to be present in our lives. As believers, we can walk with God in this circumstance regardless of what COVID-19 may due to us or our loved ones. He has given to each of us free will and we are accountable to Him for what we do with that free will, even in the midst of a pandemic.
Here is some information on COVID-19 which can equip you to make the best decision for your personal health needs and concerns:
- COVID-19 is spread primarily through the contact with respiratory droplets and particles expelled from an infected person (find out more here).
- COVID-19 has a survival rate greater than 98.21% for all ages combined in the United States (as of 4/21/2021; see current US survival and mortality rates here) (See Current Yakima County data here).
- COVID-19 is most deadly to those who are 65+ or those who already have health issues, especially diabetes and respiratory issues (source).
- COVID-19 is undetectable anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours on porous surfaces (fabric type surfaces) (source).
- COVID-19 can be detectable on non-porous surfaces (like tables or counters) for days to weeks, with only 1% detectability after the first 72 hours (source).
- COVID-19 is very rarely spread through contact with contaminated surfaces (only 1 in 10,000 touches of a contaminated surface according to this CDC article from April 5, 2021).
- COVID-19 symptoms appear anywhere from 2-14 days of being infected (source and a full symptoms list). Symptoms appear on average 5-6 days after infection according to Harvard Medical's COVID-19 FAQ and 5.1 days on average according to this early NCBI Study.
- COVID-19 can be contagious up to 2.3 days prior to an infected person experiencing their first symptom according to the MIT Medical article which references this study.
- COVID-19 infected individuals with mild to moderate COVID-19 remain infectious no more than 10 days after symptom onset (source).
- COVID-19 infected individuals with more severe to critical COVID-19 illness likely remain infectious no longer than 20 days after symptom onset with some exception (as identified by the CDC here).
- COVID-19 Experimental trials are underway to develop a vaccine (click here for more information on the current experimental vaccine trials from Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson).
- N95 Respirator Mask 99% effective at stopping both transmission and reception from an infected source.
- Double Layer Polyester Mask 60% effective at stopping transmission from an infected source.
- Medical Grade Mask 59% effective at stopping transmission from an infected source.
- 3-Ply Cotton Cloth Mask 51% effective at stopping transmission from an infected source.
- Single Layer Polyester Mask 47% effective at stopping transmission from an infected source.
- Face Shield 2% effective at stopping transmission from an infected source.
The Elder Board at Wiley Union Church asks that each person make the best decision for their personal health needs and concerns in light of the information available to them. Furthermore, the Board of Elders would like to reiterate the policies we have established for your participation here at Wiley:
- As is normal, if you are sick with any illness please do not attend until you are better.
- As is normal, if you or someone in your family has been sick, or if you have been around someone who has been sick, please carefully consider your participation.
- As is normal, if you are concerned about getting yourself or others sick, or feel as though you cannot in good conscience participate, we fully support your decision to attend or not.
Other links for you to be aware of:
- Enjoy Life Yakima (current Yakima County COVID-19 data with charts; updated daily)
- Yakima Health District COVID-19 Information
- Washington State Department of Health COVID-19 Information
- Governor Inslee COVID-19 Information
- Center for Disease Control (CDC) COVID-19 Information